Virtela is part of the NTT Group, the world’s largest telecom company, ranked #32 on the Global Fortune 500. Virtela is the smart alternative for enterprise networking and virtualized IT services and offers the opportunity to work with the most advanced technologies and talent around the world in serving our global enterprise clients. Virtela have been recognized by 100+ awards.
Are you passionate about solving challenging problems, making a real impact and building something big? Join the Virtela team today.
Are you someone who is looking to make a significant positive impact in your role as a UNIX Systems Engineer? Virtela just might have a position for you! We’re looking for a razor sharp engineer to help transform how to support enterprise networking and security. If you’re a systems infrastructure fanatic who tirelessly fine-tunes their craft and seeks to improve your ideas based on what applications and end-users really want and need – it’s time to apply!
We are looking for people who can perform tasks such as systems planning, configuring systems, installing software, providing guidance in technical meetings, defining standards, assisting with research and design for architectural issues, assisting/providing status updates, attending project meetings and implementation support of new applications.
Automating and improving existing processes
Managing development, testing and production VM and physical server environments
Acting as a key member (support/consult/lead) on various application’s BSS/OSS projects
Managing capacity, develops process, design systems architecture and perform technology refreshes
Support all of Virtela’s Enterprise applications. Support primarily java developers, applications integrators, DBAs, Global Operations Centers, and numerous scripting languages (Bash, Perl, Ruby, and Python)
Desired Skills & Experience
- Strong customer service attitude with superior people skills, self-motivated, with a willingness to take ownership of tasks and drive them to completion. Able to lead troubleshooting, optimization, and performance tuning of applications, databases, and UNIX systems.
- Mastery of GNU/Linux (Redhat/CentOS/Fedora/Ubuntu), expertise with Logical Volume Managers, network troubleshooting, bash, Python and/or Perl programming.
- Knowledge of Internet services, systems monitoring and management, and open source tools with emphasis on SMTP, HTTP, LDAP, SQL, and DNS.
- Ability to perform 24x7x365 on-call duty with other systems team members
- Strong SAN experience. iSCSI experience is a plus.
- OpenStack and CEPH distributed file system experience is a plus.
- Cobbler, PXE boot, Kickstart and Spacewalk/RHN Satellite server experience a plus
- Cisco/ Dell / IBM / Sun hardware experience and knowledge. Experience with Blade hardware is a plus.
- Strong CentOS and Ubuntu management skills
- Superior puppet skills. Experience writing manifests is required. Hiera, PuppetDB, and Puppet 3 experience are a plus.
- Strong general automation skills. This includes scripting, automated monitoring, and automated VM deployments
- Strong experience with the KVM and VMware hypervisors. Xen and HyperV experience are a plus
- Strong documentation skills
- Willingness to work out of system team’s work queue
- Understanding of Systems design and the OSI model
- Strong Subversion and/or Git VCS skills
- Experience with Nagios or Zabbix monitoring software, specifically writing scripts to extend monitoring capabilities
- Linux cluster experience
- Hands on experience with Solaris