Software Engineering Manager – India
Virtela is the world’s largest independent managed network, security, and cloud services company. Virtela offers an award-winning suite of services – including managed networks, security, application acceleration, and IT infrastructure management – to market-leading companies around the world, such as Kraft, Honeywell, HanesBrands, Paramount Pictures, Red Hat and IBM.
The company is known for its outstanding service innovations and customer support, which have been recognized by more than 50 awards in the last two years alone. Virtela offers unparalleled geographic reach to more than 190 countries through its partnership with more than 1,000 service providers. The company is headquartered in Denver, Colorado with globally distributed Network Operations Centers in the U.S., India, and the Philippines.
Virtela offers an attractive compensation and competitive benefits packages ranging from health, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, 401(K) with employer match, flexible spending accounts, health savings account, as well as company paid holidays and generous paid time off.
- Strong technical leadership abilities and qualities such as; good interpersonal and communication skills, possessing vision, decisive leader with authentic passion, and able to facilitate effective change within an organization.
- Understanding of the Managed Services business model for ITSM, Telco and Network Management.
- Knowledge and experience in the following areas: Datacenter and Managed Network Services organizations business processes and tools, developing feature rich web 2.0 GUI applications, interfacing with various global 3rd party LEC and Telecommunications service provider systems.
- Demonstrated knowledge of next-gen UI designs, coding, testing, and web based applications.
- Ability to inspire and promote teamwork of the globally diverse work units and customers.
- Experience working for an Internet Services, Managed Network and Security Services company, to support Operations environments for new software development as well as production support.
- Minimum of three years of experience managing software developers.
- Extensive use of Open source software, and understanding of the various licensing schemes
- Programming experience with ADF, java, ruby, and/or perl based development environments
- Strong, proactive, self motivating and professional work ethic
- Ability to effectively support and aggressively deliver new enhancements for existing applications.
- Fluent in Java, J2EE, ODBC, JDBC, SQL, XML, WSDL and Web Services experience.
- Working knowledge of Linux/Unix platforms.
- Excellent communication skills
The successful candidate will lead and grow a team of 8-10 software engineers across multiple locations developing advanced OSS and BSS applications to serve Virtela’s various business departments/functions. This will include managing all necessary development work pertinent to creating an integrated suite of OSS/BSS applications. Working collaboratively with Business SMEs, software UAT engineers, to deliver reliable, mission critical applications for advanced network monitoring and management, automated provisioning and service creation, work-flow automation, asset and inventory management, and 3rd party ordering / billing systems integrations.
- Managing the design and development of real-time mission critical software, preferably in the area of Datacenter and Managed Services support systems in the data communications field.
- Work with the other Managers to identify new application opportunities and technologies.
- Manage various software development projects, both new development and maintenance releases, to participate in the planning and business requirements process for new systems applications.
- Develop, establish and drive aggressive implementation of team operational objectives according to application requirements for functionality, quality, and on time.
- Participate in the development of Virtela’s architecture design strategy.
- Provide one-on-one coaching/development to the local Development Team.
- Recruit, hire and develop the needed team members with advanced technical competence.
Minimum 8+ years of proven progressive experience in software engineering as a developer, team leader and/or project leader, delivering cutting edge OSS/BSS applications and platforms.
BS Degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science, a Masters is preferred.