Senior Linux Tools Developer – Denver, Mumbai or Manila
Virtela, an NTT Communications Company, is the leading innovator in global cloud networking. We deliver award-winning services in managed networks, security, cloud, and IT infrastructure management. The company is known for its outstanding service innovations and customer support, which have been recognized by numerous industry awards during the past year.
Virtela offers unparalleled geographic reach to more than 190 countries through its partnership with more than 750 carriers. The company is headquartered in Denver, Colorado with globally distributed Network Operations Centers in US, India, and the Philippines.
Virtela offers an attractive compensation and competitive benefits packages ranging from health, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, 401(K) with employer match, flexible spending accounts, health savings account, as well as company paid holidays and generous paid time off.
- Architecting and authoring highly scalable code to monitor and poll network devices
- Authoring, redesigning, and optimizing application and backend scripts to improve scalability
- Manage and develop interfaces for Big Data databases such as MongoDB and Cassandra
- Full software lifecycle support. Concept, design systems architecture, perform development, Ops Support
- Lead troubleshooting and performance tuning of applications and MySQL databases
- Automating and improving existing processes
- Acting as a key member (support/consult/lead) on various application’s BSS/OSS projects
- Systems planning, configuring systems, installing software, providing guidance in technical meetings, defining standards, assisting with research and design for architectural issues, assisting/providing status updates, attending project meetings and implementation support of new applications
- 5+ years authoring Linux scripts and tools
- Expert level programming with Perl and Python. Strong SQL experience. C, Java, and Ruby experience are a plus.
- SNMP, MRTG, cricket, or rrdtool experience. Netflow monitoring experience is a plus
- Strong customer service attitude with superior people skills
- Strong CentOS and/or Ubuntu experience
- Strong MySQL experience. Oracle and PostgreSQL experience are a plus.
- Switch, router, and firewall management experience.
- Experience authoring threaded code
- Hands on experience supporting Enterprise applications.
- Highly self-motivated. Willingness to take ownership of tasks and drive them to completion
- Strong skills for automation of repeatable work
- Knowledge of Internet services, systems monitoring and management, and open source tools with emphasis on Syslog, SMTP, HTTP, LDAP, Radius, SQL, DNS, and Zabbix.
- Strong Subversion and/or Git VCS skills
- Strong documentation skills
- Strong resource utilization minimization and optimization experience
- Understanding of Systems design and the OSI model
- Puppet experience is a plus
- Ability to perform 24x7x365 on-call duty with other systems team members
To be considered for this position, please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com with the name of the position in the subject line.