Senior Linux Monitoring Tools Engineer – Denver, Mumbai or Manila
Virtela, an NTT Communications Company, is the leading innovator in global cloud networking. We deliver award-winning services in managed networks, security, cloud, and IT infrastructure management. The company is known for its outstanding service innovations and customer support, which have been recognized by numerous industry awards during the past year.
Virtela offers unparalleled geographic reach to more than 190 countries through its partnership with more than 750 carriers. The company is headquartered in Denver, Colorado with globally distributed Network Operations Centers in US, India, and the Philippines.
Virtela offers an attractive compensation and competitive benefits packages ranging from health, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, 401(K) with employer match, flexible spending accounts, health savings account, as well as company paid holidays and generous paid time off.
- Management of Virtela’s Zabbix and Nagios monitoring solutions
- Authoring scripts to monitor resource utilization, availability, and functionality of custom applications
- Automating monitoring of new servers and devices
- Scaling and distributing monitoring solution geographically
- Scanning and monitoring for security vulnerabilities. Working with application and device owners to ensure resolution of identified problems.
- Ensuring a minimal amount of false positive alerts
- Configuring and managing alert escalations, including SMS and notifications to management
- Working with developers and operations personnel to ensure adequate monitoring and proper alerting is in place
- Acting as a key member (support/consult/lead) on various application’s BSS/OSS projects
- Systems planning, configuring systems, installing software, providing guidance in technical meetings, defining standards, assisting with research and design for architectural issues, assisting/providing status updates, attending project meetings and implementation support of new applications
- 5+ years managing Linux based monitoring solutions
- Expert level experience with Zabbix and Nagios
- Expert level programming with Bash as well as Perl or Python. Ruby experience is a plus
- Security monitoring experience
- Strong customer service attitude with superior people skills
- Strong CentOS and/or Ubuntu experience
- Strong MySQL experience.
- Hands on experience supporting Enterprise applications.
- Highly self-motivated. Willingness to take ownership of tasks and drive them to completion
- Strong skills for automation of repeatable work
- Knowledge of Internet services, systems monitoring and management, and open source tools with emphasis on Syslog, SMTP, HTTP, LDAP, Radius, SQL, DNS, Nagios, and Zabbix.
- Strong documentation skills
- Understanding of Systems design and the OSI model
- Networking background is a plus
- Puppet experience is a plus
- Ability to perform 24x7x365 on-call duty with other systems team members
To be considered for this position, please submit your resume to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the position in the subject line.