Software Architect – Denver
Virtela (virtela.net) is the world’s largest independent managed network, security, and cloud services company. Virtela offers an award-winning suite of services including managed networks, security, application acceleration, and IT infrastructure management – to market-leading companies around the world, such as Kraft, Honeywell, HanesBrand, Paramount Pictures, Red Hat and IBM. The company is known for its outstanding service innovations and customer support, which have been recognized by 40 awards during 2010 and 2011.
Virtela offers unparalleled geographic reach to more than 190 countries through its partnership with more than 750 carriers. The company is headquartered in Denver, Colorado with globally distributed Network Operations Centers in US, India, and the Philippines.
Virtela offers an attractive compensation and competitive benefits packages ranging from health, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, 401(K) with employer match, flexible spending accounts, health savings account, as well as company paid holidays and generous paid time off.
The successful candidate will lead and transform the OSS and BSS applications to act as an application architect. Working collaboratively with Business SMEs and software engineers, to design and deliver advanced applications with state of the art graphics, intuitive navigation, and next-gen UIs. These applications will support Virtela’s OSS and BSS applications, for automated provisioning and service creation, work-flow automation, asset and inventory management, and 3rd party ordering / billing systems integrations.
- Creating design specifications and prototypes for next-gen applications.
- Design and development of real-time mission critical software, preferably in the area of workflow management, B2B integration, and operational Managed Services support systems in the data communications field.
- Work with the other Solution Architects to identify new application opportunities and technologies.
- Develop a new framework and design standards for Manage various software development projects, both new development and maintenance releases, to participate in the planning and business requirements process for new systems applications.
- Develop, establish and drive aggressive implementation of team operational objectives according to application requirements for functionality, quality, and on time.
- Participate in the development of Virtela’s architecture design strategy.
- Provide one-on-one coaching/development to the local Development Team.
- Recruit, hire and develop the needed team members with advanced technical competence.
- BS Degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science, a Masters is preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge of next-gen UI designs, coding, testing of web based applications.
- Experience with server technology stacks such as Java/Java EE.
- Proficient in XML, WSDL and Web Services, SOAP, REST & RPC, JSON.
- Demonstrated Experience in frameworks like Spring MVC
- Demonstrated ORM experience Like Hibernate / ibatis.
- Demonstrated experience in using software design patterns.
- Ability to design and aggressively deliver new enhancements for existing applications.
- Working knowledge of Linux/Unix platforms.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Working knowledge in database design concepts and SQL.
- Proven ability to rapidly deliver prototypes and proof-of-concept work to validate a proposed architectural approach.
- Extensive experience in full software development lifecycle using agile methodologies such as Scrum.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience as solution architect for next-gen UI/UX initiatives.
- Minimum 8+ years of proven progressive experience in software engineering as a developer, solutions architect, delivering cutting edge Web-based applications.
- Experience working for a fast paced service oriented company, focused on UI/UX software development and production support.
- Experience using Open source software, and understanding of the various licensing schemes
- Strong, proactive, self-motivating and professional work ethic
- Experience with NOSQL like Cassandra would be a huge plus.