Linux Systems Engineer – Denver
Virtela, an NTT Communications Company, is the leading innovator in global cloud networking. We deliver award-winning services in managed networks, security, cloud, and IT infrastructure management. The company is known for its outstanding service innovations and customer support, which have been recognized by numerous industry awards during the past year.
Virtela offers unparalleled geographic reach to more than 190 countries through its partnership with more than 750 carriers. The company is headquartered in Denver, Colorado with globally distributed Network Operations Centers in US, India, and the Philippines.
Virtela offers an attractive compensation and competitive benefits packages ranging from health, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, 401(K) with employer match, flexible spending accounts, health savings account, as well as company paid holidays and generous paid time off.
- Managing development, testing and production VM and physical server environments
- Automating and improving existing processes
- Systems planning, configuring systems, installing software, providing guidance in technical meetings, defining standards, assisting with research and design for architectural issues, assisting/providing status updates, attending project meetings and implementation support of new applications
- Supporting all of Virtela’s Enterprise applications.
- Support primarily developers, applications integrators, DBAs, Global Operations Centers, and numerous scripting languages (Bash, Perl, Ruby, and Python)
- Acting as a key member (support/consult/lead) on various application’s BSS/OSS projects
- Managing capacity, designing systems architecture and performing technology refreshes
- 7+ years of Linux administration experience
- Mastery of GNU/Linux (Redhat/CentOS/Ubuntu), expertise with Logical Volume Managers, network troubleshooting, bash, Python and/or Perl programming
- Strong customer service attitude with superior people skills
- Superior puppet skills. Experience writing manifests is required. Hiera, PuppetDB, and Puppet 3 experience are a plus.
- Strong experience with the VMware, KVM, and VirtualBox hypervisors
- Highly self-motivated. Willingness to take ownership of tasks and drive them to completion
- Able to lead troubleshooting, optimization, and performance tuning of applications, databases, and Unix systems
- Strong knowledge of Internet services, systems monitoring and management, and open source tools with emphasis on Syslog, SMTP, HTTP, LDAP, Radius, SQL, and DNS.
- Strong documentation skills
- Understanding of Systems design and the OSI model
- Strong general automation skills. This includes scripting, automated monitoring, and automated VM deployments
- Strong Subversion and/or Git VCS skills
- Strong SAN experience. iSCSI experience is a plus.
- Load balancer experience a plus
- Vagrant experience is a plus
- RPM and DEB file generation experience a plus
- OpenStack and CEPH distributed file system experience is a plus.
- Cobbler, PXE boot, Kickstart and Spacewalk/RHN Satellite server experience a plus
- Cisco/ Dell / IBM / Sun hardware experience and knowledge. Experience with Blade hardware is a plus
- Experience with Nagios or Zabbix monitoring software, specifically writing scripts to extend monitoring capabilities
- Linux cluster (heartbeat, pacemaker, corosync) experience a plus
- Ability to perform 24x7x365 on-call duty with other systems team members
To be considered for this position, please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com with the name of the position in the subject line.