Cloud/Virtualization Software Developer – Denver
Virtela is part of the NTT Group, the world’s largest telecom company, ranked #32 on the Global Fortune 500. Virtela is the smart alternative for enterprise networking and virtualized IT services and offers the opportunity to work with the most advanced technologies and talent around the world in serving our global enterprise clients. Virtela have been recognized by 100+ awards.
Are you passionate about solving challenging problems, making a real impact and building something big? Join the Virtela team today.
Location: Denver, CO
Do you live, eat, and breathe programming? Are you someone who sees code in their dreams? Would you consider yourself a developer’s developer? Virtela just might have a position for you! We’re looking for a razor sharp engineer to help transform how to support enterprise networking and security. If you’re a software fanatic who tirelessly fine-tunes their craft and seeks to improve your ideas based on what end-users really want and need – it’s time to apply!
- Design and implement production grade software at cloud scale and help drive the innovation and evolution of Virtela systems and tools.
- Work directly with our networking engineers and product team pros as well as developers who are experts in the industry to ensure high quality releases per schedule
- Evaluate technical aspects of competing products, propose and build proof of concepts, prototype and provide estimates for development effort
- Capacity planning, functionality testing, and load testing in a virtualized server environment, documentation as well as training of other organizations and ongoing server solution support.
- Responsible for assessing server hardware and software requirements related to various application vendor evaluations. Knowledge of other virtualization technologies, experience in enterprise application appliance design, and experience in Networking/Telecom industry is a plus.
- Work on every level of the stack – frontend to backend, and everything in between
Software Developer with proven design skills to join a small, highly motivated team to analyze and translate business requirements into technical specifications, design and develop multi-tier distributed applications, accurately document and present system designs, test and debug applications and identify track and resolve defects. Virtela systems are built using the latest software technologies following SOA best practices with a focus on scalability, maintainability and reuse.
Desired Skills & Experience
- 5+Experience working within Advanced Systems Infrastructure Design and support for complex IT environments, with 3-5 years’ experience designing and implementing Virtualized computing environments using agile development methodologies
- Strong knowledge of software best practices (Object-Oriented design, patterns, algorithms, data structures)
- Experience with memory/execution constraints and handling large amounts of data
- Desire and ability to document code, and write documentation in support of the software
- Extensive knowledge of Linux operating system& programming and demonstrated experience building highly scalable, distributed software systems
- Experience with Puppet and/or Chef
- Experience with NoSQL Databases; Cassandra, HBase, and MongoDB preferred
- Experience building cloud based systems and API development and experience with server virtualization and or container technology is highly desirable
- Experience with at least 2 of the following programming languages – Java, Python, Ruby, & Erlang.
- Work independently without needing lot of input, self-driven and experience with contributing to open source code is a plus
- Experience in infrastructure architecture and design of complex distributed systems environments, including failover techniques, recovery/rollback, and application partitioning
- Understanding of computer server architectures, including peripheral interfaces (SCSI, RAID, Ethernet) and multi-processor designs (SMP)
- Familiarity with systems management concepts, processes and standards (e.g. SNMP); capacity/performance management and tuning; and storage and network management
- Understanding of modern IT production data center and Internet (ISP/ASP) hosting operations
- Experience with VMware ESX 2.5.2 or higher, Xen and KVM hypervisors.
- Microsoft Active Directory, Microsoft Exchange, and Microsoft SQL. MCSE certification a big plus.
- Hands-on experience supporting server infrastructure in a large enterprise environment.
- Knowledge of vMotion and Physical to Virtual (P2V) tools such as Acronis, Vizioncore, and Double-Take desirable
- Plus Knowledge of networking including setup up and troubleshooting VLAN’s and trunking, will be plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Math, Computer Science, or Engineering.